I have been publishing email newsletters for more than 10 years, and I have learned there are a few tips to gain great “opens” and “click-through” rates.
Open rates are statistics that track the percentage of readers who open your newsletter, as opposed to the number of people who are sent the newsletter (campaign). In regard to click-through rates, those are compiled by tracking the number of times a link in your campaign is clicked on to take the reader to a destination away from the newsletter.
At the present time, the Red Dog News campaign enjoys an open rate of 50+%, and a click-through rate of 25+%, which are very high rates in comparison to industry standards. Based on a variety of resources, the average open and click-through rates of similar campaigns in the RDN categories (Arts/Marketing) are 32.4% and 2.8%, respectively. The main reason for the high rates of RDN is that it is in its fifth year of publication and I have periodically ran surveys to capture information about what readers want.
This will bring us to the 10 Newsletter Tips (according to no one else but me…) that may help your enewsletter achieve legendary status. We can only hope! (note: some things may be obvious, but it’s best to start at the beginning)
1. Target a niche area in your market first to build recognition.
2. Choose subjects for your newsletter that pertain only to that niche.
3. Invite everyone you know to take a look at your great product.
4. Make sure you have a “Please Forward” link in your campaign.
5. Create a “Sign-Up” link.
6. Be sure to have subject lines that are compelling.
7. Maintain sources (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) that can be utilized to drive potential subscribers to your sign-up form.
8. Use your name or a recognizable term in your subject line.
9. Don’t stray from your original message.
10. Always thank your readers for choosing to subscribe to your campaign.
Bonus Tip: Just like Rome wasn’t built in a day, don’t expect readers to your newsletter to sign up by the multitudes. It takes a while for your great product to gain traction. Red Dog News has been in publication for more than five years, and its still gaining traction.
Each of these suggestions are based on a lot of reading and research on my part and are offered to use as guidelines in creating a great campaign.
Now, go out and get some great statistics!